Thursday, March 6, 2008

The few joys of life, and the irritating bits as well.

Here comes the sun, do do do do. And I say, it's all right. la la la, la la la, la la la, la la la la. I have that song in my head. I like that song.

I had a great Middle School rehearsal today. For those of you who don't know. I am the advisor/director for Baker Middle School. Our season lasts from February to the beginning of April and it's high energy kind of fun. It keeps me on my toes. Middle Schoolers are an interesting group of people. Anyway, I had a great rehearsal. The kids were responsive, and less squirrely than they usually are. Every year it's a chore, up to performance day, to get them to speak up and not talk so fast. (A typical problem with any newbie actor) Today, I started directing them on how to slow down and speak up. At first they took it like they were doing something wrong. I had to reassure them that yes, I did love and adore them all, and no, I was not getting after them like they were in trouble. A director, by the nature of things, tells you what to do. :) I was kind about it of course. There's nothing worse than a Middle Schooler who's ego has been busted to pieces. They're fragile enough as it is. Anyway, once they got a handle on the fact that I still thought they were wonderful, and I wasn't yelling at them. They stepped up and had one of the best rehearsals we've had since the middle of February. I was pleased. They were pleased. We left it at that.

On a weirder note, Eastern Oregon Regional Theatre's costume department (i.e. me) was accosted today by someone who thought we were stealing their round clothing rack. We're moving out of Ma Bells on first street and into a new office. Last Saturday, we moved all the costumes and props downstairs to our new storage spot, and that included the round rack we bought for 5 bucks when The Emporium went out of business. Well today, a lady (who will remain nameless) thought that we took HER round rack out of the basement, and that HER round rack was there before WE moved in. We all explained to this lady that me, Rob, and dad had purchased this rack a long time ago, but she wouldn't hear of it. She even got the owner of the building involved. And now there's an uproar. Not really and uproar, but just one more thing I have to deal with that is unpleasant. I called the owner, explained the situation, and am waiting to hear back. *sigh* Life is...irritating at times. All I have to say is YAY for Middle School theatre. I never thought I'd say that. :)

1 comment:

Arly said...

I'm glad the middle schoolers were good!! I bet the play is fantastic.
You'll have to let me know how the round rack issue turns out. :)

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker