Nothing says you fail at life than having someone you knew in high school living your dream, or at least a semblance of your dream, and getting paid for it.
I have worked very hard since the 6th grade to prepare myself to do theatre. I love theatre. My creative side expresses itself best when I can get inside a characters head. I majored in theatre, I've co-founded a theatre in Baker. Name the show, I've been in it, or costumed it, or directed it, or whatever.
And yet, there's this person, who I'm in contact with through myspace, advising and acting in a movie in HOLLYWOOD with Matt Damon all because of his involvement in something classified during his stint in Iraq. This person never had any interest in acting or anything in high school or since then, why is it, all of the sudden they're more successful than I am in something I've loved to do since I was 11?
I keep talking to this person, because frankly it's kind of a cool story, but every time they start talking about their life I'm reminded that I live in Baker City Oregon, I work way to hard running a theatre company and I'm never recognized as one of it's leaders (that credit goes to my business partner) NOR am I paid for anything I do. I work way to hard teaching Middle Schoolers theatre and get paid very little (less actually than Rob, who coaches football, and I've been doing it longer). I have a job at a dentist office and I get MAYBE a weeks worth of work per month. I'm running constantly, working my butt off, and I have nothing to show for it. I'm almost 30, and I have nothing to show for my work and passion but a struggling theatre company no one knows I run.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My thoughts are these:
Everybody knows you own/run the theatre there... They're just afraid of ticking the other side off. ;) You're much more gentle when it comes to feelings and so everybody feels like they can just skip over you.
I'm very proud of what you've done. Not everybody could have brought such great theatre to Baker. That was a task in itself. Besides, you know what they say?? The person that gets the least credit always does the most work. :)
Love you Ab.
Post a Comment