Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My patience is being tested. Lord, I've learned this before I swear! You don't need to teach it to me again.

I have worked really hard today. I've hauled couches, worked on finishing up the set, done costumes, got the programs ready for Thursday, did makeup...to name a few. I've worked really hard on my Middle School theatre to be exact.

Then rehearsal comes. Two girls don't show up because one is sick and the other is missing (everyone says she's "sick" too), another girl tells me at 6:20 that she needs to leave at 6:30 (we hadn't started rehearsal yet at that point), and all my tennis kids were 20 minutes late. And I wonder why I do this. Why do I torture myself with this?

Then I look around at my kids, and I realize, a few are ruining it for the many. Isn't that like life? And then I realize, just because one or two kids are being snots doesn't mean that everyone is. Just one or two. I have 13 or 14 kids in my cast.

I do Middle School theatre for the 11 or 12 kids that I can teach. For the 11 or 12 kids that listen to me, that stay to the end, that learn their lines. I do it for the 4 or 5 tech kids I have that do what I tell them to, that want to learn how to do "backstage" work, that have worked so hard I can't even explain it to people who aren't "in the know". I do it for them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm praying the play went well today. Isn't it a shame that one or two individuals can spoil a good experience for others. Glad you've come to the realization that overlooking the bad eggs and looking for those who are teachable and/or willing to learn can truly bring joy. I still remember the joy and excitement I experienced when a 3rd grader mastered a reading skill we'd been working on for several weeks. Still don't know what caused her to "click" but her expression when she realized her success made all the other "stuff" fade into the background. Your enthusiam and dedication will communicate to your students and they'll remember you in the days to come with respect and love. Of course, I could be prejudiced :).

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker