Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Why can't 95 dollars just appear in my hand?

There is a book floating around in space that I really want. It's called Women in Ancient Persia 559-331 BC by Maria Brosius. I need this book to help me complete my novel. Oddly enough the San Antonio public library doesn't have a copy on file. So that means I'd either have to pay 19.95 a month to Questia to read it online, or pay 95 bucks to own a copy for myself. Now there are used copies out there for 40 bucks, but it's a 258 page book. How on God's green earth is it 95 dollars? How is it 40 dollars? I read novels with more pages than that and they're 15 dollars max! Frustrating? Yes. Particularly because I KNOW it has information in there I need desperately. I'm not quite sure what to do. I'd rather hold the book in my hands than read it online, but even then I can't hardly justify 19.95 a month to read ONE book. Quandry.

Anyway, the novel has been coming hard lately. I got to 25000 words and I got writers block. I knew how the characters needed to continue, I just wasn't sure how to get them there. It's still kind of slow going, but I'm moving again. My characters truly appreciate being moved out of the mire they were stuck in.

I've also been sick lately, which hasn't helped with the writing. I don't have the swine flu, but I am fighting severe fatigue, sore throat, and painful sinus pressure. Possibly allergies? Possibly a strange bug. Either way, no fun.

Happy November everyone!! It's finally becoming cool enough down here to justify putting on a sweater in the mornings. By noon though I'm stripping it off and wondering about my sanity in putting it on in the first place. I eye my snow boots lustfully, wishing I could clunk around in them again. They are, to this day, my favorite footwear. I feel so...flannel when I wear them. Can one feel flannel? I would say Nanook of the North, but I'm not quite sure if that's a racial slur or not...:) Anyway, I'm completely confused as to what to wear in the mornings. If we were in Baker none of the confusion would exist. Long sleeve shirt with a short sleeve Tee over it, scarf around my neck, and my snow boots. Possibly a sweater instead of the shirts to mix it up a bit. Maybe a cardigan...ah...cold weather clothes how I love thee. Instead, I'm living down here and seriously considering turning all my pants into capris, because goodness knows I'll never need to cover all my legs at once. So completely depressing.

Ok, now that I'm back on the computer regularly again I should be blogging more too. Let's hope. :) Have a great day everyone!!

3 comments:

Mom said...

I am so glad you blogged today. I check everyday. I bet you didnt know that. Hehe. Have you checked Amazon for the book or maybe other online places where people have things listed for sale. I would love to see you have the book. If it makes you feel any better, I have not worn my snow boots yet. Just the sweaters and coat. :) Glad you are back at writing. My writer's block comes after two sentences so am very amazed at you. Love you.

Amara said...

Ive missed you! It makes me so happy to think your that far writing a book. All proud and warm fuzzy feelings and just a touch of envy. 25000 words amazing. If I had munny I'd so totally buy you that book. Also... you should text me your email address. And blog more often >.<

andrea said...

Do what Nathan and I used to do...whenever we were bored in Dallas but didn't want to spend any money, we would go to Barnes and Noble and just sit and read for a few hours. You get your info but don't have to shell out $90! {which i agree is totally ridiculous!}

I stalk your blog by the way...is that creepy? ;~) Although I guess if I'm finally commenting then I move from "stalker" to "fan", right? Good luck with your book! Can't wait to read it!!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker