Monday, August 31, 2009

To my family, whom I love

I love my Goodyear family. I love my Goodyear family for being their natural goofy selves. For not apologizing for their weirdness, their loud loving ways, or their dysfunction. They can laugh at themselves for what they do, without having to hide who they are. I'm proud that I'm related by blood to over 80 people who claim Christ as the head of their lives. I'm proud to be related by blood people who see each other for who they really are and love them because of it or in despite of it. There are no hidden secrets, there is no dwelling on the past. You are who you are today and that's good enough for them. With all your blemishes, mistakes, and funky haircuts, nothing is held against you that gets in the way of an open, honest, truly loving relationship that is as close to God-like as I have seen on earth. My Goodyear family is the greatest thing on earth.


I love my Spriet family. I love their heritage, and the way they seem to have been formed out of the bones of the earth. I love their jokes, and the way that they share things in quiet whispers over the phone. I love their traditions, and the way they raise you to glom on to those you love like super glue. They don't let the memory of those they love fade away, but remember them year after year. Thinking, and celebrating the short life spent here on earth. They're as soft and as noticeable as the smell of wet hay on the warm summer evening breeze. I'm proud to be related by blood to people who are so completely connected to the landscape around them that to take them out of the landscape is to take a part of their soul away. My Spriet family is the greatest thing on earth.


They're my family. Mine. To talk about them, is to talk about me.

2 comments:

mom said...

Wow, Abby. You put a lump in my throat. You certainly have a way with words and feelings. I love you.

Arly said...

Agreed. Although I didn't cry like mom. :)

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker