Yesterday was payday. Our church secretary was GOING to pay Rob but ran out of signed checks and so we didn't get paid yesterday. She said she'd call and Elder and he'd come down and sign some more checks and we'd get paid ASAP (which both of us assumed would be tommorrow. i.e today). Well, today came and lo and behold NO SECRETARY at work! Apparently, she had a doctors appointment that took her away from her desk all day, and didn't mention that to Rob yesterday. I guess our livlihood isn't that important to her. Maybe she believes a church shouldn't have a youth minister. Who knows. Anyway, so Rob took matters into his own hands and called an Elder and had him come down to sign checks and write out Rob's paycheck. Thankfully, there was an Elder that was willing to come right down and do that for him.
So today, Rob deposited our paycheck and we went and had our car inspected. (A process I don't attempt to comprehend the value of), and we headed down to the dreaded Tax Office...now, the last time we were at the Tax Office it was hot, and there were a million people there, and it was noisy and we had spent the ENTIRE day roaming around San Antonio trying to figure out what we were supposed to do next...so neither Rob, nor I were really looking forward to another adventure into the Tax Assessors office.
But we walked in the door and we were met by air conditioning that actually worked, and only 4 people in line in front of us. I thought I had died and gone to heaven (ok, not really but you get the point). We walked up to the lady, still expecting the dreaded "You still have paperwork to fill out, you dummy" speech, but NO she read through all our papers, typed on the computer a little bit, and handed us two new Texas liscense plates to put on the ol'Camry. Both Rob and I were stunned. We walked out of the office and it almost felt like we slipped through the cracks of the inefficent government program. We BEAT THE SYSTEM!!! I felt almost like a criminal that had stolen something.
So, we came home. I fixed lunch while Rob put the plates on our car. (Still no pictures though, I didn't want to go back outside. It's to hot.)
I still feel like I'm living in the twilight zone somehow.
Next up...drivers liscenses. That one, I'm sure, will have an interesting story to it...

3 comments:
My license expires in September. I have to go in and get a new picture and everything because it's still a "minor" license... even though I've been an "adult" for at least 4 years. :)
Good work!! Way to finally become an adult after all these years and a baby to boot. :) I like it when the government tells me who I am, it saves me the trouble of figuring it out.
My uncle did that to my dad once... They were working together and both planning on visiting family in Utah that weekend for a wedding or some such... And he left town before paying my dad >.< You dont need to buy gas to drive to Utah right?
Post a Comment