My shoulder has been killing me today. I don't know if it's because I slept on it wrong last night, or the repetitive movement of sewing over the last couple of weeks has had anything to do with it, but today it's killing me. I hope it goes away. I can barely move.
I'm up again. It's almost 11 and I'm wide awake. Poor Rob wanted to go to sleep at 6 this evening, but managed to stay awake until 9. I, on the other hand, am desperately drinking Sleepytime Tea, hoping it'll help me relax...and help take the shoulder pain away. So, because I'm awake. And because I'm working on Pride and Prejudice at the moment, this blog is going to be the random thoughts that occur to me to help me make a character. Discontinue reading if you wish. This really will be of no help to anyone but myself.
I wrote a few things to think about on my script tonight as I was going over my lines. The first one is "Where is the arc to Liz and Darcy?" And really...right now...Peter and I need to find that together.
Does Lizzy have Quiet Rage or Passionate Anger? This, I believe will be the question that dictates how Lizzy emerges. How does she react when presented with the first proposal of Darcy's? Does she get loud, or does she get quiet and pointed. The latter I believe. She's not someone who yells, but you know exactly where you stand when she's done dissecting your many character flaws. I believe she reacts with quiet rage at Darcy's horriffic proposal. She believes herself to be in the right about Jane, and about Wickham. Darcy is insulting in his proposal anyway. She lets it all fly at him. But in the book it says that after he leaves she cries for a half hour. No one cries that much unless a lot of pent up emotion is involved. If she let Darcy have it full voiced...crying wouldn't occur AFTER he leaves, it would occur during the interview. Control...control and composure while growing more angry. That should be fun to explore.
The next question I have is when does Lizzy herself begin to love Darcy? Darcy we all know "loves" Lizzy from almost the outset. I have a few theories. I'm writing them down to see which one comes across as more plausable.
1) Lizzy loves him after the letter he writes in his defense.
She knows that Darcy is innocent of any injustice done to Wickham, and in fact is the victim of Wickham wanting to "get at him" through Georgiana. She knows her accusations have been totally unjustified. Even the accusations about Bingley/Jane. Her family IS embarassing. Darcy didn't say anything she didn't already know.
2)When they meet at Pemberley with the Gardiners.
He is gentle and amiable towards the three of them when he finds them unexpectedly on his grounds. He has made so material a change, and Lizzy knowing what she knows of him after the letter, is more apt to give him the benefit of the doubt. But does she love him? She jokes that she was in love with him after seeing "his beautiful grounds at Pemberley" but this is just a joke. Or does Lizzy say anything that doesn't have some hint of truth to it?
3)Does she love him when she confesses that Lydia has run off with Wickham?
This is the confession of confessions right here. In the book it says that she could have "honestly felt she could have loved him as now, when all love must be in vain" When she thinks that she is diminishing in his estimation because of Lydia's behavior. She opens herself up to redicule here. If Darcy wanted to he could scorn her, and she still lay's bare all her most intimate concerns. She's finally defensless, and helpless around him.
4) She loves him throughout the entire book/play?
I'm wondering about this one. Some parts of me say "Absolutely not!" because of her complete contempt toward him regarding Wickham and Jane. And I'm not sure the reasoning I have to say "well maybe she is...". It's just a small voice somewhere inside me that says it's so. I know she's certainly attracted to Darcy from the outset. I think she tries to tease herself out of it because she's so prejudiced toward Darcy after he refuses to dance with her at the first assembly, and because of Wickhams stories. Plus the fact that her feelings are hurt because of the Jane/Bingley episode. But does she love him? That's a pretty strong word when it comes down to it. Maybe it's an attraction that goes from attraction, to contempt/disgust of him, to love. But never losing the attraction that made her want to argue with him in the first place.
This is all for the moment. There will be more in time that I may, or may not blog about. I just figured since I was awake this late, and I was thinking about all this stuff that I might as well put it down "on paper" so to speak.
Everyone have a great day in church tomorrow!! Enjoy your summer weather, it's going to be a hot one for us for sure! I can't wait for the Fall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow, your mind has gone through lots of mental gymnastics with this one or do you do this with all the characters you play. Lots more work to this acting business than I ever thought about. I can understand more of what makes you such an awesome actress. And the comment about FAll . . . wash your mouth out with soap. Fall is rubbing up against winter. I just got through that. Love you honey. Mom
I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed this character dissection! Ha ha ha. Maybe it could be that Lizzie was initially very attracted to Darcy, and so his behavior was all the more hurtful and insulting as a result of that attraction. It could be a combination of being embarrassed that she was attracted to him at all and disappointment that he didn't live up to initial expectations. Hmm...can't wait to see where you go with this!
I always thought that Lizzy started to respect him with the letter, which then in turn grew into admiration at Pemberley... that then grew into love... BUT that she didn't know it was love until He risked his reputation to save her family from the clutches of the "evil" Wickham.
That's just my take.
Post a Comment